Time is flying by!
Our first track meet is on Saturday, March 19th at Pete Knight High School in Palmdale. Directions to the school can be found here.
Invoices have been sent out to everyone who has signed up. Uniforms will be handed out at Thursday’s practice to those who have paid their fee in full (or who have otherwise made payment arrangements with Adreena Thomas).
The full season track meet schedule has been posted and can be found on our calendar here and here. Please keep in mind that due to unforeseen circumstances, locations may change and any changes will be posted on our calendar by the prior Thursday.
For many of us this will be the first time (or first time in two years) that we are stepping on a track. Below are some details of what to expect and recommendations on what to bring to prepare for the eventful day.
The Night Before
Following are some tips to prepare in advance for the meet:
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
- Check your spikes – for the meet you will need to have 3/16” pyramid spikes.
- As a reminder sub-gremlins (born 2016 or 2017) are not allowed to wear spikes!
- Bring spikes AND tennis shoes. Immediately after an event, your athlete should change into their tennis shoes.
- Put your athlete’s name on all pieces of track equipment (e.g. clothing, shoes, bag, etc.)
Please arrive at Pete Knight High by 7:30 am. This allows the athletes’ time to get their event stickers (each athlete will get one sticker for each event they are participating in) and to warm up before the meet begins.
You can expect to be outside in various weather conditions for approximately 6 hours. Bring items that will allow you and your child to be comfortable for that duration of time. Recommendations include:
- A cooler with water, Gatorade, fruit and other light snacks for you and your athlete. There may be a snack bar selling additional items.
- Hat or visor, sunscreen and sunglasses
- Stadium chairs and/or a small blanket
- Dress in layers – it will most likely be chilly in the morning and warm up to a predicted 74 degrees. Winds are predicted at about 17 mph.
- 10×10 pop up tents can be placed on the top row of bleachers on a first come, first serve basis.
During the Meet
Keep your athlete out of the sun as much as possible, this will help reserve much needed energy for their race or field event.
Breathing is very important while running — oxygen needs to get into your athlete’s body so they don’t pass out or become light-headed. While running, athletes should focus on long, steady breaths and breath in their nose and out their mouth; this will also help prevent cramps.
Athletes need to keep their sweats (jackets and pants) on, when they are not running in their event, to keep their muscles warm (even in warm weather). This will help prevent injuries and enhance performance.
Order of Events
The track meet will be run in the following order. Sub-gremlins (SG) and Gremlins (G) can run a maximum of 3 events. Bantam (B), Midgets (M) and Youth (Y) can compete in a maximum of 3 individual events and 1 relay or 2 individual events and 2 relays. Intermediate (I) and Young Women/Men (YW/YM) can compete in any 4 events. Coaches will pick the events for your athletes and we will be running 4x4s at this meet!!
|Order of Track Events |
(Track events begin at 8:30 am)
|3000 Meter:||MG, MB, YG, YB, IG, IB|
|Hurdles:||MG, MB, YG, YB, IG, IB|
|4×100 Relay:||SGG, SGB, GG, GB, BG, BB, MG, MB, YG, YB, IG, IB|
|1500 Meter:||GG, GB, BG, BB, MG, MB, YG, YB, IG, IB|
|400 Meter:||SGG, SGB, GG, GB, BG, BB, MG, MB, YG, YB, IG, IB|
|100 Meter:||SGG, SGB, GG, GB, BG, BB, MG, MB, YG, YB, IG, IB|
|800 Meter:||SGG, SGB, GG, GB, BG, BB, MG, MB, YG, YB, IG, IB|
|200 Meter:||SGG, SGB, GG, GB, BG, BB, MG, MB, YG, YB, IG, IB|
|4×400 Relay:||BG, BB, MG, MB, YG, YB, IG, IB|
|Order of Field Events |
(Field events begin at 8:30 and run concurrently)
|High Jump:||BG, BB, MG, MB, YG, YB, IG, IB|
|Long Jump:||SGG, GG, SGB, GB, IB, IG, MG, MB, YG, YB, BG, BB|
|Shot Put:||YB, YG, IG, IB, BG, BB, MG, MB|